Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Where to Start!?

A few months ago, I was trying to get a pair of pink, hinged handcuffs. They were on perpetual back-order so I finally gave up and got them in black. I discovered that the shank on the black ones had gotten bent, so I went to buy a new pair at a local supply store. And they had the pink ones - in stock! I get a lot of comments from citizens and co-workers alike. As for the perps... They have their back to me when I put 'em on, so they don't really realize they are PINK! Aren't they fun?!

These last couple weeks have been busy, busy, busy! Some highlights:

We have begun calling the Chief's Secretary "The Troll". Remember in the Three Billy Goats Gruff, the goats didn't want to cross the bridge because of the troll.? No one wants to walk down the hallway in front of her office. But while the Chief did allow her to rescind her resignation, she has again tendered it. She got accepted into a Police Academy - which is scary on SO MANY levels. But once she's gone, hopefully she'll just become a footnote in our history. The Major doesn't think the Chief will hire her as a Police Officer, however where she is concerned, all bets are off.

I have gotten two Internal Affairs Complaints. Both of them are against me and Mike (who is being promoted to Sergeant on Friday - finally). Jonathan - the current sergeant - says we aren't allowed to play together any more. And since Mike is going to Morning Watch, it won't be a problem.

The first complaint stems from a Hit and Run I worked a couple weeks ago. Girl backed into her neighbor's car, then left the scene because her license was suspended and she had no insurance. I didn't know who she was yet, and when I went to the house on the night of the accident, the two ladies living there lied to me and Mike, denying that they even knew her. She is the cousin of one of them. I was able to figure out who she was, but didn't find her before I went home that night. So I knew I had charges against three people but hadn't done anything about it. The next day, Mike was dispatched to the house because the car was there. I was in the middle of another wreck when Mike put out a call for back-up. GULP! Someone else got there WAY before me, but as soon as I could I ran over there. Mike had gotten there and was trying to talk to the Hit & Run suspect when one of the other ladies kept butting in. He told her three times to wait outside. We already knew we had charges on her, so Mike decided to go ahead and arrest her. She bowed up on him and that's when he asked for back up. I got out there and arrested her on my charges as well, and the Hit and Run driver. We left the kids with the other suspect until someone else got there. Mike got sent BACK out there because she was confronting the neighbor, and he arrested the third one at the precise moment the judge was signing my warrant. The lady that Mike arrested said at first that Mike touched her improperly, then it was that he was too rough with her. Changing story and the fact that she lied to us the night before don't bolster her case. We aren't worried.

The second complaint was where we went to back up Animal Control at a place where they had had problems before. They had an unregistered pit bull mix with ten puppies. The owner of the dogs wasn't even there, yet he is making a complaint against us, saying we were making racial slurs. The residents are black. The only racial thing that was said was made by the suspects mother, something to the effect that "we've elected us a black president and the po-lice don't have anything better to do than harass black people." Our supervisor was present for most of the call because they started in with various crap right from the get-go. In addition, Mike was recording the call. Not worried about that one either.

And that wasn't the first time I've had the Obama-card tossed out there. Going out on a tangent here, but last time I checked, we're ALL Americans and it isn't about race. Or not supposed to be, anyway. So that shit begins...

Let see, what else?

Bunch of accidents, bunch of tickets (mostly fire-lane violations). Alarm calls.

A couple of drunks, lots of Domestics. One of the Domestics led to an arrest. She was a complete and utter BITCH. I had come in early on Sunday to work for one of the Day Watch officers that needed to move. He said, "Aw. It'll be quiet until about 2 o'clock." He jinxed me. I got slammed with the Domestic Violence right out of the chute. I was glad for it though. At least I didn't get sent to the dead guy. Wouldn't have been so bad if his dog (another pit bull) hadn't eaten his face. Literally! I saw the photos, it wasn't pretty. The guy hadn't been dead but about 12 hours...

One of the drunks I arrested, I also charged with Urban Camping. It's an ordinance to keep the homeless from taking up residence. We got a call to the Extended Stay motel and the manager had last seen the guy at the back of the parking lot. We knew there was a "fort" back there that we had been checking when we had the rash of burglaries. We went back there and found him peering out at us from under a NASTY blanket, hoping we couldn't see him. He just couldn't figure out how we knew to look there for him. Like Pam said, "Hell, I know it's there and I'm not even the po-lice." LOL!

On Thanksgiving Day, I arrested two 17 year-old gang-bangers who had just tagged a vacant residence. When I dropped off my car, the Captain said the Channel 46 was asking questions about it. I haven't seen anything on it yet, so I'm thinking they might be working on a Gang story. We shall see.

I am enjoying my three days off. I can't believe I have tomorrow off too! I worked on Wednesday last week, so it was a L O N G week. I've managed to do nothing yesterday, and clean house today. And I even made it to the gym! I'm not sure I know what to do with myself tomorrow...




2 comments:

Kathy McElroy said...

Boy, you sure lead an exciting life. Never a dull moment that's for sure.
Love the pink handcuffs. I can't even believe they make them.

Joanne Huffman said...

Enjoy your third day off!

Joanne