Saturday, March 07, 2009

Ghostly Gunshot

Yesterday was a steady, busy day. Lots of guns.

I pulled over a car and when the guy was fumbling around in the glove-box for his insurance, I saw him drop something in the passenger floorboard. I couldn't see what it was, other than it was black, and about the size of a gun. I had my hand on my gun and watched him VERY closely. It turned out that it was a BB pistol. Had I been able to see that, he'd have been staring down my barrel.

A little while later, we received a call of an aggravated domestic and that someone was saying that they were going to "blow some one's head off". But they gave a very vague location. Milan and I were checking one of the duplexes when I heard Mike shouting "Get on the ground!" The duplex they went to, the guy answered the door with an unloaded gun in his hand. Too much of a coincidence, but we didn't have any charges on him.

This is the eerie part: Just before midnight, I stopped a car with an expired drive-out tag. It turned into a charlie-foxtrot because the car was full of people, one of whom turned out to have an outstanding warrant. And the driver called her boyfriend to come to the scene and he started showing his butt. He almost got locked up for Disorderly Conduct. Not one name on any piece of paperwork on the vehicle matched any other name on any other piece of paper, nor the driver or her boyfriend.

While I was trying to sort this out, Dispatch called me to see if I was okay. I confirmed that I was and thought she acknowledged me. Mike and Gary were out with me. A minute later, Dispatch asks me again if I'm "Code 4?" I know I got a little testy with her when I told her again that I was. This particular dispatcher is famous for "covering" us when we try to tell her something. That means, she keys her mike and can't hear us 'cause she's talking. So I thought that had happened.

Anyway, I got my suspect to the jail and vehicle towed, and put everyone on their way. Mike fielded the complaint on me. (The driver wanted to complain because I wouldn't load her up with her friend that was going to jail and drop her off on the way. And she only heard what she wanted to hear when I was trying to explain her options.) And when I was done, I returned to headquarters to turn in my paperwork before going home. It was already an hour after time to go home.

Dispatch called me to come up there. She wanted to play the tape back for me. Now, when we are all standing around, we hear what we say on the radio coming over everyone else's mike. It's like an echo which can be annoying, but that's the way it is.

So I went up there and she plays the tape for me. She asked me if I was okay the first time, and I said I was and she acknowledged me. Then, there is this noise that sounds exactly like the crack of a gunshot! Clear as a bell. She heard that come over the radio, and the computer system indicated that it came from my radio, and that is why she asked me if I was okay again. It was so weird because if it had come over the radio system, I would have heard it come out of Mike or Gary's radio. And of course, they would have heard it. And of course, there was no gun shot! But it's right there on the recorder!!!

I heard today that Winder P.D. (a little town just northeast of us) shot an armed robbery suspect just before that, and there was speculation that it was bleed-over. But still.... Too Weird!!!!

No comments: