Sunday, January 18, 2009

Mike was Right

When I first got out on the street, I was optimistic. I have extensive Dispatch experience, so I know what goes on in there. When we are out on the street, our focus is on the call in front of us. Dispatch has to focus on everything that is going on. But whoever is on the radio is supposed to be completely focused. If they have to grab a phone call, the radio still comes first.

Mike would get exasperated with them, and I would always defend them. I'd say, "You don't know what else they've got going on in there." He said, "Give you six months, you'll see what I mean."

A couple weeks ago, I witnessed an accident. A girl ran a red light and hit another car. I tried three times to raise Dispatch to tell them I was out on the accident. Fortunately, no one was hurt because they didn't answer me.

Finally, I was able to get through. Another officer arrived on the scene, and thinking perhaps I was having radio trouble, I asked if I was getting out. He said he had heard me each time.

Tonight, after Morning Watch came on duty, they set up a road check, so the radio traffic was pretty heavy. I was driving around and needed to get out of the car for a few minutes so I decided to go to Walmart and grab a couple things I needed. I pulled up and there was a car in the Fire Lane - my pet peeve. No one had said anything on the radio for a minute or so, so I called out on the vehicle. No answer.

A minute goes by and Dispatch says something inane to one of the other units. Meanwhile, I gave the driver a warning, and was getting back in my car when they finally say, "521, do you have traffic?" All I could say was, "10-22 (Disregard) now!"

I am so glad I wasn't getting shot at or something! I made sure my Sergeant was aware and gave up for the night.

Mike was right. I get it now! Grrr!

No comments: