Friday, January 23, 2009

Busy, Busy!

Well, they made up for last night today! I had to check and see if it was a full moon. It was not. Yesterday was DEAD! We didn't do squat. It was cold, and nothing was moving. But the people were all f#$%ing crazy today!

I started the shift with car problems. What else is new? My cigarette lighter outlets quit working last night, and while I did get there early to get it fixed, the mechanic had to take a break. Couldn't spend another 15 minutes to get me out on time? And no, they are not unionized.

I left the shop and was headed to Chick Fil A for a quick bite with the guys, but just before I got there, I got stopped by a red light. The car in front of me, who was behind the balk line, pulled on up and made a U-turn right in front of me. Citation number one of the day.

So I grab a quick bite, eat half of my food - by myself - when I get a call to check for a broken down vehicle in the roadway just down from where I was at. I wanna wash my hands and head for the bathroom. I open the ladies room door - to the restaurant - and there is a lady in a wheel chair in the handicap stall. She has someone there to help her, but the stall door is open. I pay no mind and head for the sink and proceed to wash my hands. The lady on the toilet says, "I don't know who that is, but they wrong for coming in here when I'm going to the restroom." HUH? It's a public restroom, with more than one stall. It's not like I'm standing there gawking! Jesus! I let it go. Shaking my head, I leave and head to my call. Get out there, nothing. So I go back in service and head down the road.

I spot another stranded motorist, and stop to see what I can do to help. As I'm walking up to the car, I make a mental note that the vehicle's tag expired in 2003! I go on up and see that they are putting gas in the car and trying to get it started. Then I see that the driver is my next-door-neighbor. I can't write HIM a ticket! I gotta live next door! So I get him in the parking lot of the drug store and get going again.

I'm driving down the road and see a car with a Virginia tag. "Does that really say, '2007'?" Run the tag and sure enough, it expired in 2007. So I stop it. Driver says he's a student and between traveling back and forth, hasn't had time to get it renewed. But he had time to get a Georgia driver's license? So I ask for his proof of insurance. Doesn't have any. Proof or insurance. Impound the vehicle, write a couple of tickets, go back in service.

Ride around a little bit when they give me and Corey a bulls$& kids-playing-too-rough call. We're about to wrap it up when Rhett gets into a chase. They were coming our way, so I get in my car and head out. I pull out of the apartment complex and spot them right away and start that way, head on. The guy makes a left, and somehow I wind up as the second car. I don't wanna be there, so I pull over and to let Milan have his spot back. (I NEVER hear the end of this.) Anyway, we go a tiny bit further down the road and Rhett tries to P.I.T. the car - unsuccessfully. The guys stops, but bails. So now we're on foot. I ran a little way, decided to let the guys handle it and head back to secure our cars and the suspect vehicle. Milan has gotten out of his car, left the siren running, and LOCKED his car doors. Ugh!

Anyway, after a bit, we get it squared away. K9 comes out and tracks the guy down. He's wanted for myriad warrants.

Dispatch calls the Sergeant to say the County P.D. needs a back up, can anyone go in service and pick it up? They are in the shopping center across from where we are, so I go over there. He has his guy cuffed when I get there. Dispatch is holding an accident with injuries, around the corner from me, so I head over there. Three cars, and the third car is FULL of people with injuries to their money-bones. I get most of the information, but hand it over to one of the D.U.I. Task Force guys, since they handle most traffic calls when they are working. The other Task Force unit wants me to come search a female for drugs.

I get over there. She's geeked up on something, and being a B@#$%. Nothing on her. I leave.

It's now tinkle time, so I head to headquarters to take care of business. Get sidetracked watching the video of the chase, and listening to Milan bitch about me cutting him off. Don't make it to the potty before they give me another accident. I could have legitimately pawned this one off on the county, as it was just outside the city limits. But I handle it. Sometimes it's easier to get it done than argue about jurisdiction and make the poor drivers wait an hour or so for them.

Get that done and go back in service. Sergeant starts bugging me to get my supplemental done for the chase. Get that done between stopping another vehicle for driving without headlights.

Meanwhile, Milan and Chris go to eat, without inviting me. But that's okay, I come home for dinner with Allie. Fun!

As I'm getting back in the car, Dispatch gives out a bizarre-o call and after the other officers get there, they check to see if he is "Code 4". He answers with, "Slow everyone down, we're okay." "Okay" is the code word for an officer being held hostage! So of course everyone starts screaming that way, but Dispatch confirms that he is indeed "Code 4" and everything is hunky-dorey.

Meanwhile, I am on the exact opposite side of town, but I continue that way until I see a minivan flying down the road, changing lanes and passing everyone. I run the tag and lo and behold, the owner is wanted on a Bench Warrant out of our agency. Guess what for? Improper Lane Change! So I stop the vehicle and the driver is the owner, so I arrest her. Charge her with - what else - Improper Lane Change and impound her car.

Head to the jail. Get over there and walk in the door. Tell my driver to have a seat and notice that the woman already sitting on the bench looks MIGHTY familiar. Ask the deputy, is that Ms. H? Sure enough, it's the woman I tased two weeks ago. I knew the county had arrested her last week for Disorderly Conduct. I still don't know the circumstances, but the deputy said that she made bond on that before the Obstruction and Simple Battery warrants made it down, so they went out and picked her up again. She didn't fight this time, but based on the charges, I'm guessing she did last week.

Get done there and go to hide and catch up on my paper work. Sitting in my favorite hide-y hole when Chris starts to chase one. Get up there pretty quickly. His guy gets away, shucking his shoes and cellphone just outside the vehicle, and his doo-rag in the briars. But he left his buddy and passenger behind, so we know who he is. Don't know why he ran, but suspect he was drunk since his buddy was. So Chris goes to take warrants.

Wrap that up and head to headquarters. It's quitting time! I still gotta finish my paperwork, and listen to Milan bitch some more about me cutting him off. I also had to listen to the guys making fun of me. In one tiny bit of Milan's video, you can see me running. and they tease me for running like a girl. I just say, "I'm allowed to. I AM a girl."

I manage to get out of there at 1:15.

Whew! But I sure do love it when it's busy!!!

1 comment:

Joanne Huffman said...

You certainly had a busy day!

Joanne