Monday, September 08, 2008

An Interesting Week

Interesting Calls This Week

24:

The first one was a Demented Person. AKA a 24. Dispatch said that a paranoid schizophrenic had attacked his care-giver with a knife. I got there, and as I pulled up, Mike said he was still a few minutes away. I went on up to the door, and the caregiver finally came and opened the door. She hadn't been hurt, and as far as I knew, the 24 didn't still have a knife. But as soon as I walked in, he became more agitated. Mike walked in a second or two later, and the guy threatened to cut both of us, kill us, kick our asses, etc. He was calling his caregiver the N-word, and telling her the same things. Someone like this, of course, can't be charged with anything, where otherwise they could be charged with Terroristic Threats. They have an automatic insanity defense.

So we had a stand off. The care giver had already called her supervisor, but he was about 20 minutes away. We got her out of his sight, and settled in to wait. Once the supervisor arrived, the guy calmed down, and agreed to go in an ambulance to get some good drugs.

There is no way on this earth that I could do the care giver's job. Of course, she might feel the same way about mine. I told Mike, "If I ever get like that, go ahead and shoot me."

42IP:

Aaron and I were dispatched to a Burglary in Progress on Saturday night. The homeowner was clubbing in Atlanta, and called to say that he believed his girlfriend was breaking into his house. I got there first. There was a purse and several clothing items lying in the driveway, including panties and a bra. The front of the house was secure, but I couldn't access the back because of a fence. I thought I heard some shouting from within the residence when I pulled up, but I wasn't 100% sure. So I waited for Aaron. When he got there, we knocked on the front door. No answer, no movement, no nothing. There was a pickup truck in the driveway with the doors unlocked, and a set of keys on the floorboard. So we called for the supervisor to let him determine if we had exigent circumstances.

We were standing in the driveway - waiting - when the outside light came on for a fraction of a second. What the heck!?! We continued to wait.

Then, the garage door starts to go up. No lights came on, just the door going up. Talk about your "Oh shit!" moment! We moved over to cover behind one of the vehicles to see if anyone came out, weapons drawn. Nothing. We told Dispatch to start another unit and put out a 10-3, which means they are SUPPOSED to hold all radio traffic, until we advise.

Then we went around the vehicle, maintaining our cover, and cleared the garage. No one in there, so we were headed toward the door into the house when it opened, and out came a black female. I'm not sure who scared whom more! She was put on the ground, cuffed, when the supervisor arrived. Aaron and I cleared the house, but there was no one else there. Whew!

Long story short... The woman said she saw the police cars, heard us knocking, but was scared. She SAID she was coming to give up when she opened the door, but I asked her why was she doing it that way. Trying to be sneaky. She said she was being stupid, that she had caught her boyfriend with another woman and thrown her clothes in the driveway. She said she had never been in hand-cuffs in her life. I said, "Then you better circle the date on your calendar, 'cause you can never say that again."


Stepping on Toes:

The guys on my shift asked me to help them keep an eye on their time, since after 5 months, my replacement is continually getting it wrong. She messed up my time last Friday, and when I pointed it out to her, she got mad and had a little hissy-fit. The Chief doesn't seem to care, and apparently doesn't want to hear anymore on the subject. On Friday, my Lieutenant put me on the spot in front of the Captain, Major, and the Chief. Afterward, the Chief went to the Lieutenant and told him that since I no longer work in that office, I need to mind my own business. Fine, no problem, my hand is smacked, and everyone is on their own.

But apparently he wasn't done yet. The Chief went to the Dispatch supervisor and told him I'm not to be working in Dispatch anymore. He said he needs to use his own people for the overtime. That's all well and good. Ray has only ever given me overtime in there when it was something his people didn't want, and he would have to work it himself. He led Ray to believe that is was a cost issue. That is crap! I asked Ray if he was told this after 3pm on Friday - after the fall-out over the time issue. It was. Thing is, Ray makes more per hour than I do, and his overtime starts at 40 hours each week. Mine doesn't start until 42.75.

I'm still trying to figure out what his secretary could possibly have on him that he gets so defensive when people point out her short-comings. And why I need to be punished for it by taking away my overtime. I decided a while back that I do NOT like this woman, and want nothing to do with her. I am quite furious...

I have my Lieutenant's permission to appeal to the Captain. We shall see what happens next. One thing is certain, I have my response ready next time they ask me where something is or to help my replacement with something: "I don't work in that office anymore."
Other:
I have managed to pick up the traffic detail for tomorrow. Money in the bank!
And I should be getting a new computer this week. This is good and bad. Good because it's a brand new computer. The one I'm using today was issued to me on Friday until they could program the new one. Bad because they are installing a program that will not allow me to save anything to the hard-drive. I'll still have Internet access, but I won't be able to install iTunes or MS Money. So I supposed I'm gonna have to break down and buy one. Crap!
And lastly, other than being tired, I've been feeling pretty good this week. I guess the medication is doing it's job. Saturday night, after the Burglary call and adrenaline rush, I was ready to crash before midnight. So today, I am resting!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's always interesting to hear what you're up to. And, sad to hear that office politics are the same everywhere.

Joanne