Wednesday, September 24, 2008

In the Nick of Time

Last week, I decided that I would pay to have my grass mowed, rather than do it myself. So I asked my Sergeant to have his son come take care of it. Poor kid is swamped with a part-time job and football practice.

Today, I was trying to decide exactly what to do with myself and finally convinced myself to mow the grass. I dug out my grass-cutting sneakers, and went out to the carport to do the dreaded chore. I figured, if nothing else, I could get the front knocked back. I had just pulled out the mower and was fixin' to pull the start cord when a pickup truck pulled up in my driveway. It was my Sergeant. He felt sorry for me and since his son was busy, came to do it himself. It took him about 3 hours! And that was just to mow, no weed eating... I would have never gotten that far!

He has threatened me with bodily harm if I let it get that bad again. I felt so bad, that I spend that time pulling weeds in my long-neglected flower bed and picking up all the limbs and branches. And I cut the Wisteria that is trying to take over my side yard. Now that was a chore. I still need to break out the weed-eater and hit the area around my deck. I hope that can wait until Monday.

Meanwhile, we have had a pleasant fall-like week weather wise. It has been positively gorgeous! And I am so grateful for the cooler temperatures. Right now, I have the windows open and the cool breeze is bringing in the scent of fresh-cut grass. Aaahhh....

I ended up working overtime last night. I had court at 1pm, and while I was there, the Sergeant asked me if I wanted to work since he had one on vacation. It was a good thing I was there. We were swamped!

I was going to try to leave around 9 o'clock, since that is when Morning Watch comes on duty. A little before then, Johnny and I responded to a Shoplifting that had just occurred. The perpetrator got away, but we were able to identify her. She left her purse behind, and while there was no identification in it, she left enough information that I was able to get her driver's license number and subsequently her date of birth. She has been arrested several times in our county, so I was able to get a photograph of her to compare to the store's video. Johnny was already three reports in the hole, and I was only down a supplemental. So I took the call. By the time I got a warrant for her, wrote the report, and put the purse into evidence, it was after midnight.

On Sunday, Aaron and I responded to an alarm that turned out to be an attempted Theft or Burglary. The would-be perpetrator got away, but he left his vehicle behind. So I had a pretty good lead, that so far hasn't panned out. The investigator who has the case now told me the niece of the owner of the vehicle is supposed to come in tomorrow to talk to him. I'm sure she knows who was driving it. She says that she ran out of gas on the other side of town and someone must have stolen the vehicle and put all those tools in there. It never ceases to amaze me what people will come up with and expect us to believe!

Meanwhile, I was able to pass some information on to the other guys, and I actually got a note from the Captain - yes, THAT Captain - telling me, "Good work!" That's a nice feeling.

Anyway, I impounded the vehicle and while I was waiting for the wrecker, I took pictures of the vehicle and it's contents while Jimmy was going through it. He turned around and asked if I got a good shot of his ass. I didn't want to mess up the order of the photos on my evidence disk, so I didn't take one. A little later, I just could NOT pass up this opportunity to get a shot of two very fine back-sides in one photograph. That is Aaron on the left, and Jimmy on the right.

While Aaron and I were waiting for the key-holder on the alarm earlier, I was literally upside down in my patrol car looking for my flashlight. (See previous post.) When I told Aaron that I had this picture, he said he would have to just live with the mental image of my butt from that angle.

No comments: