Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Beginning of the End

Today was my last day on Day Watch. I really HATED getting up at 5am to be at work by 6am. Someone said, "Heck, you did it for the last 15 years." Not that damned early, though! I didn't realize how much I was enjoying being able to get up and piddle around before getting ready for work. The kinds of calls handled on Day Watch have been very different from Evening Watch. And that was the point of the whole exercise.

I do have a slightly funny story to tell: Jeff's wife has never spoken the first word to me. When I was riding with Bodie, we stopped by the station one night so I could tinkle. We saw Jeff and Katie in the parking lot. I went inside, and Bodie pulled up to chat. She got out of the car to talk to him. When I came out of the building to get back in the car, she stopped - practically mid-sentence - and walked away. At the picnic on Saturday, they were standing in line talking to some of my fellow officers. When I walked up to speak to them, she turned away. And if looks could kill, I'd have been dead the day he got promoted and I gave him a congratulatory hug.

I have absolutely no idea what she has against me. I left HIM! It's not like he left me and I've been pining away about it. She should be glad I left so she could have him, right?

Anyway, I pulled around the Goodwill the other morning, and saw a Cadillac at the curb. Didn't really put two and two together and realize it was her. The driver of the car kinda waved, and rolled down the passenger window. So we pulled up to see if we could help this citizen. She realized it was me and Brian about the time she said, "Hi Guys! What's up?" I thought she was gonna choke! I politely responded, and she briefly chatted with Brian about his kids, then she got the heck outta there. I was amused!


Today was also the end of my basic Field Training. Starting tomorrow, I will be in my car, by myself. Until Sunday, Mike will be my back-up on all my calls, whether they require back-up or not. This is called the "shadowing" phase. He will be there to bail me out if I get stuck. But I think I'm gonna be okay. After Sunday, I will be ON MY OWN!


I still have some classes that I need to complete, like EVOC in July. And I am worried about that one. If I fail, I could lose my job. I'm trying not to think about that right now.

1 comment:

Joanne Huffman said...

Congratulations on achieving the point where you're on you're own. I'll start thinking positive thoughts about your EVOC classes now.

Joanne