Monday, March 12, 2007

Kickin' and Screaming

I have to give the poor man credit. He works hard. He hasn't gotten home before 8pm for the last two weeks. And Saturday, which is his "short" day, he got home at 6 or so. But I had had enough! We have been without a clothes dryer for 9 months! So I made him shower and we went shopping! To his credit, when we got home - about 8:30 or so - he even installed the thing while I fixed us some supper. Plus, I think he was tired of me making him go to the laundromat with me.

The part he was really kinkin' and screaming about was buying a suit. He says that when he no longer had to wear one every day, he got rid of all of them, and swore he'd never wear one again. But along comes me. We have to go to a wedding next Monday night - "Cocktail Attire". I'm sorry, hon, but khakis and a shirt just doesn't cut it. Plus his niece is getting married next month. His answer was, "I can wear blue jeans to Jessica's wedding!" My response: "No, you can NOT!"

It just doesn't hurt to have a suit. God Forbid something happens to one of our parents and he needs to attend a funeral! His answer to that was that he had gone to a funeral a while back and just wore black pants and a black shirt. YUCK! First of all, I didn't see him dressed that way. And if I had, I probably wouldn't have claimed him. Second, it was the funeral of the father of one of his less-than-savory friends from the "trailer park". Lastly, he was probably better dressed than most in that bunch.

So I dragged him kickin' and screaming to the mall yesterday. He protested the whole way. But once we got in there and started looking around, he chilled out. He found a really nice - and nicely priced - summer-weight wool suit in navy blue at the first place we looked. We decided to shop around a bit more, but it turned out that we had found a deal. He thought the pants would be too big, but they fit perfectly, just needed hemming. And the jacket was perfect. I found him a nice shirt and tie to go with it. (He didn't even own a tie.) And he found some shoes he liked that were very reasonable. He is all set. Suit, shirt, tie, shoes, and even socks! All for less than $250!

My mom said, "Remind him that you can bury him in that suit." But I know he wouldn't want to be "uncomfortable" for eternity.... He would rather be buried in his Dickie's brand carpenter jeans. Preferably the ones with the ripped out butt and knees.... Too bad I threw those away the other day!