Monday, August 30, 2010

Antique Handkerchiefs

Wow!  It has been FOREVER since I last posted....  So much has happened in the last 10 months, but we won't get into that now.

Altered Hankie Round Robin:

I have joined a Altered Hankie round-robin.  I have got to get back to my art and I figured this might be a good jumping off point.  The idea was to do a little bit of altered art on an antique hankie, send it on the the next person and they will work on it before sending it off again.  Meanwhile, you work on other's hankies.  Well, I have no antique hankies, and no time for shopping, so I went to Wal-mart and purchased a man's handkerchief.  I added an antique doily and a piece of sheer fabric with an antique belt buckle.  I think the doily and the buckle came from my ex-husband's grandmother's house, therefore of no sentimental value to me.  But wonderful for altered art projects...











I went ahead and attached the hankie to a piece of the fabric I will use for the pillow for stability.  

Handkerchief Quilt:
Speaking of antique handkerchiefs...

When my ex's grandmother passed away in Alabama, the family went through the closets and got the clothing ready for a charitable donation.  There was a simple, pink A-line skirt upon which she had sewn vintage hankies.  This was what she wore when she hostessed the "Garden Club".  His family immediately put it on the "Goodwill" pile.  I immediately snatched it off and put it in my pile.  I was at least going to take the hankies off, but when I showed it to my mother, she took charge of it.  She took it apart and pieced the pink fabric to a rectangle.  She then re-attached the hankies and took it to a lady she knows who quilted the whole thing.  


When we divorced, my ex asked me to give it back to him.  I have several family heirloom quilts.  If his family has any, he doesn't own any of them.  Needless to say, he didn't get it back.  If they had had their way, it wouldn't exist.

It's too large for a crib-quilt, and not quite large enough for a twin size bed.  Right now, it's stored away for just the right occasion.

4 comments:

Joanne Huffman said...

I love that you're using the man's handkerchief. And, the handkerchief looks lovely.

jackie said...

Oh I love the beginnings of your hankie! I look forward to working on it!

And your mom did a beautiful job on the hankie quilt! It's lovely!

Anonymous said...

Your hankie is off to a lovely start. I am so glad you are playing. I think this will be a fun and different RR. Love your mini quilt. What an heirloom. kathy mc

Karen Owen said...

Your handkerchief is off to a great start. I think it will be fabulous. I love how you saved the vintage hanky skirt.