Sunday, February 22, 2009

Furious, et al.

I started a post last week about the roller coaster week. But had to scrap it when I never got back to it. Suffice it to say, it was Crazy! Especially Friday, the 13th.

Friday:
I was in training all week this week A class on Domestic Violence. The Family Violence Act was not in existence when I graduated from the Police Academy in 1985. (Was that really 24 years ago? It's been almost a year, March 17, since I took my oath of office this time.) It was quite interesting, but they very easily could have reduced it to 3 days and still covered everything. the classroom was FREEZING cold all week. And although I had packed warmer clothing, I was still cold.

I got up early Friday morning to get packed and the car loaded before class. Made the fatal mistake of stepping into the shower without sticking my hand in there first. Heck, the water had been great all week, so why would I? Well, not Friday morning! It was tepid, at best. Then I had to go sit in the cold classroom and watch the movie, "Sleeping with the Enemy." We watched this while the instructor graded our reports from the night before. (I got an "excellent." But then, I always get compliments on my reports. It's one thing I'm actually good at.) When we got done with that, they discussed one more topic before administering our written test. (I got a 96 on that.) Then we got to head home ahead of Atlanta's Friday afternoon rush-hour.

I got home, got my hot shower, changed clothes, and headed to the range for Night Fire. Got halfway there when I remembered I had forgotten my ballistic vest and had to go back home to get it. Don't wanna take a round in training!

So I get out there, and it is so FREAKIN' cold, I can't hit the broad side of a barn at 15 yards. My fingers were positively frozen. And I was so tired, I screwed up every one of the scenarios. Ugh! It was a learning experience.

Finally get home, light the wood stove and get warmed up.

Saturday:
Woke up in a good mood, despite the headache with migraine potential, a stiff neck, and my right hand screaming. I'm sure this was due to the range. As many rounds as we throw down the range, the shock/impact accumulates. Plus, I'm really having issues with my right hand. So I laid around until time to get ready for work.

We started the shift out pretty slow, and I managed to finish the shift with no reports or tickets. I guess you could say I was the "Code 7 Girl". Things picked up around 6 o'clock.

I went with Brandon on a Shoplifting in Progress.

Then, I backed Corey up on a call where he arrested a guy that I've arrested twice, and I can name about 4 other instances where he's been locked up - that I know of.

Next, Dispatch gave out an Armed Robbery that had just occurred. They dispatched EVERYONE. I wasn't far away, and I was primary (pretty much because my unit number comes first at 521) But Aaron H., bless his heart, got there first and picked it up. I ended up taking the photos and handling the evidence. That ended up being my only paperwork; an evidence sheet. Guys rob a cell phone store and tie up the clerk and his friends with tie-wraps. Doubt anything will ever come of the case, but we still gotta do things right. After that, we handled a few more piddly calls and headed to dinner at Long Horn's.

Here is the "Furious" part: I go to pay my check with my American Express and it is declined. Say What? I just paid it yesterday, I KNOW I'm not close to my limit. Fortunately, I had my debit card in the car and didn't have to wash dishes. So I called American Express when I got back in the car. They said they canceled my card today. They reviewed my credit report and because there was a "derogatory" item put on there recently, they decided to cancel my card. WHAT??? I pay in-full, on-time, every month. So I ran my credit report, and sure enough, there is an item for $73 that I have no clue about. Meanwhile, I'm screwed. There is no appeals process with AmEx. And thus, no Frequent Flier Miles coming in either. So I am quite furious!

Finally get calmed down and am discussing the report on the Armed Robbery with Aaron H., when Aaron B. stops a car that nearly backs into him. Next thing we know, he's chasing on foot. No one piped up to said they were close, so Aaron H. and I head that way. I didn't know what happened to Aaron, but I wound up behind Brandon. He pulled up and held an intersection for me and I blew past him headed to Aaron B. There was very little traffic on the roadway, and I was running blue lights and siren. I looked down at one point and I was doing 110 mph. Shit! I have NEVER driven that fast in my LIFE! Brandon said later that he was going 105 mph and couldn't catch me. I think his direct quote was something like, "'Shit!' Darya grew a set of balls!"

Anyway, I scream over to Aaron B. and he has his guy on the ground behind a business, tased. He tased the guy 3 times, until he ran out of cartridges. The guy took a good lick when he hit the ground. And he was still trying to get up! Aaron was standing there waiting for someone to help him out when I got there. I assisted the guy with his issue with the gravitational pull by putting my foot on his back between his shoulder blades until I could get his hands behind his back and cuff him. Next thing I know, the guy is SNORING! I was laughing pretty hard while trying to get his hands behind him, keep him down, and cuff him. He'd come to for a minute, struggle, then start snoring again. That happened about 3 times before I got him cuffed. Meanwhile, Aaron is trying to update dispatch and I know they could hear me in the background, cussing and laughing.

Aaron's car was around front so we stuffed him in my car which was handiest. By then, there were 4 or 5 of us out there, and the Sergeant. The guy was like a broken record, "Officer, what's your name? What's your badge number?" He refused to put his feet in the car, so the Sergeant tased him again. We ended up pulling him into the car from the other side. And I took his ass to jail. The ENTIRE time, he's saying, "Officer, what's your name? What's your badge number?" Like he is gonna remember that tomorrow. Yeah, right. He was drunk or high or both.

The deputies take him out of my car and tote him inside and secure him in a cell. It's Aaron's call, I'm outta there... Just in time to go to Headquarters, secure the evidence in Property, and go home.

I'm off for the next three days! I'm ready for some time off...

1 comment:

Joanne Huffman said...

You certainly had an exciting week. I hope you enjoy your days off, you deserve them.

Joanne